The process of converting the contents of a text from one language to another is known as translation. It has been the interconnecting thread of human knowledge since the eons, and the significance of translation has inflated in the last two decades. The 21st century epitomizes interdependence and globalization like no one.
Since the inception of the internet, the world has legitimately transformed into a global village. The phenomenal impact of globalization has touched every aspect of our lives, and language is no exception. The acknowledgement that an English-centric atmosphere is elite and unviable has emerged in recent times.
We can state that humans pushed the history of local languages to the periphery for most of history. In a sigh of relief, the contemporary world is witnessing new millstones in linguistic inclusivity as there is a concerted drive to move away from the dominance of English.
Despite being the most widely spoken non-native language with 1.28 billion speakers worldwide, most non-native English speakers are not eloquent enough to extract valuable information from English content. Mandarin eclipses English as the most commonly spoken language in the world, with 11 billion speakers.
Despite such skewed statistics, the normative expectation worldwide is to know and master the English language to a certain degree. As such, it becomes imperative to consider translation and adopt a diffusion approach towards languages.
Multilingualism is the ‘it’ phenomenon globally. The urgent requirement is to translate, transpose and convert, and not merely collage the linguistic differences. So, document translation and other translation services have become the galvanizing industry striving to bring forth linguistic inclusivity and diversity.
When we talk about translation, it is noteworthy to highlight the importance of humans in the process. Professional translation services are performed by trained individuals who provide the much-needed humane touch to a lifeless document.
Professional translators read more than just the words on a page. They translate the intention, motive, context and even the unsaid words of a particular document.
The paramount significance of translation services in the 21st century
We can see an unprecedented rise in the importance of document translation in the 21st century. It is one of the most effective methods of bridging cultural, social, political and ethnic gulfs. Dedicated efforts towards translation can actualize gainful knowledge-sharing.
Moreover, accelerating translation practices creates a unique sensitivity to the cultural warehouse residing dormant in other languages. It is, indeed, the faculty that brings us closer to foreign cultures and societies not only through written media but also via movies, music, and so on.
Let us look at some points that concretize the veritable significance of translation in contemporary times.
1. English is the third most widely spoken native language with 330 million speakers. Currently, there exist 7000 languages all over the world and focusing on one of them is unfair, to say the least. Even within regions assumed to be English-centric, large chunks of the population converse in other languages.
For example, England, which is home to a comprehensive English speaking population, harbours linguistic minorities. Moreover, just because a person can speak English does not imply that they can efficiently communicate in the language. For example, a 2012 survey reveals that only 23 percent of Europeans understand English well enough to follow an English-language news broadcast.
Likewise, studies show that 65 percent of netizens prefer to browse sites in their native language despite being proficient in English. Another study in India confirmed that three-fourths of Indians warrant content in their native language. Therefore, we can lucidly see the ubiquitous importance of document translation all over the world.
2. The internet has revolutionized the globe, and there is no second thought about it. We can witness the spectacular dawn of cross-country business expansion because of the internet. Although English is sometimes crowned as “the language of global business, the scenario is steadily changing.
Eighty-seven percent of Americans assert that overseas expansion is vital for growth, and any overseas expansion is incomplete with translation. Moreover, 880000 small British businesses are expected to transcend to foreign markets by 2025. Therefore, the importance of translation is, indeed, going to increase further in the coming years.
3. Despite being the so-called global language, English is not unrivalled. The reign of the language is fading away, and other languages are receiving their due importance. The emergence of global markets means the emergence of languages forms nooks and corners of the world.
Numbers do not lie, and we can see that China accounts for 980 million internet users, most of whom prefer to browse in their native languages. Therefore, website localization, legal translation, mobile app translation, etc., have the potential to alter business functioning completely.
Types of translation services
The translation industry is skyrocketing with annual global revenue of 38 billion USD in 2019, which is expected to rise to 64 billion USD by 2027. There are numerous types of translation services that deserve our attention. Let us focus on a few of them and see what they have to offer.
1. Literary translation – It refers to the transposing of literary works like novels, poems, books, research papers, and so on. It is considered to be one of the most specialized and sought-after forms of translation. Adequately conveying the cultural nuances, humour, satire, feelings and emotions, and hidden contexts are some aspects of literary translation.
2. Legal translation – One of the most specialized fields within the niche of translation – legal translation refers to the process of translating a legal document from one language to another, keeping in mind the socio-cultural and judicial nuances of both the target region and the source region. In addition to linguistic competency, a legal translator must be a law expert.
Also Read: What Does Reputed Document Localization Service Providers Do?
3. Medical translation – This type of translation involves converting any medical content from one language to another. Medical content implies patient-related information, medicine labels, packaging, instructions, software, and so forth. Medical translation services must possess requisite credibility and competency in the scientific and medical domain.
4. Website localization – A modern take on translation, website localization means converting the content of a webpage or website from one language to another. In addition to language, it also includes converting the images, sounds, and videos of the site to match the socio-cultural tastes of the target region.
5. Administrative translation – It refers to the translation of management-related documents that are commonly used in government and private organizations, big corporate houses, and so on. Administrative translators must possess adequate knowledge of business jargon and technical terminologies.
There is no denying the paramount significance of translation in the 21st century. From trade to tourism to the internet marketplace, every field necessitates language translation services. Before opting for any translation agency, make sure to do some background research.
You can look for good reviews, credible certification and a communicative staff before making a final decision. If you are looking for document translation, look no further as Devnagri is the optimal hub of all types of translation services.
From localization to legal translation, Devnagri offers premier translation services without burning a hole in your pocket. Accountability, flexibility and transparency are the three pillars that make Devnagri unique and compelling.