Making your content localized is the first and foremost step of globalization. The most significant part of this process is preserving the original tone and intent of the material. This is why it is hiring experts in voice over translation that can help you offer your content to a diverse audience is of utmost importance. It is pivotal to incorporate this technique if you wish to expand your product to new markets. Adapting to the audience’s culture and language can play a significant role in appealing to them.
This type of translation is important for making your video content easy to understand and more appealing to the multilingual audience. Voice over translation helps gain the trust of potential buyers by promoting your products in their own language. It is more likely for users to avail products and services when they are promoted in their own language. This may involve voice replacement or off screen voice over. This approach can be used for translating e-learning material, commercials, animation, films, presentations, documentaries and videogames.
NEED FOR VOICE OVER TRANSLATION:
Voice over translation isn’t just replacing the words but also delivering the right accent, diction and tone. It can be instrumental in gaining more audience and appealing to new markets. The process involves translating the original script to the required language and choosing the right voice actor and recording the audio. This provides authenticity to your content and helps connect better with the viewers.
ADVANTAGES OVER SUBTITLING:
Depending on the subtitles to understand the language of the video can be troublesome. It is hard to keep up with the speed of the subtitles. Most viewers end up missing significant parts of the visual actions unintentionally. Other important background details and body language of the speaker is also hard to read when focusing on reading the subtitles. Having the audio translated rather than providing subtitles for the video is thus preferable. Translating the e-learning modules makes it easier for the viewers to understand the concept easily as the tone/mood cannot be conveyed through subtitles.
Moreover, subtitles take up a considerable amount of space on the screen and may become distracting. They can be extremely confusing when multiple speakers are present. There is more chance of the user retaining the information on hearing it than reading the words on the screen. The length of the subtitles may not match with the original language leading to crowding of the screen. It is essential that the speed of the subtitles sync with that of the visual action for the user to follow the content.
ADVANTAGES OVER TRANSCRIPTING:
Having the audio translated is far better than providing a written transcript of the video. This is critical for ensuring the clarity and understanding on the part of the users. A written transcript may leave the viewer guessing or assuming the most part of the content as there cannot understand the visual cues to help them relate to the video. It can be tedious to read and listen to two separate languages at the same time. It is impossible to infer the tone or mood of the video from a written transcript.
Many techniques are available for voice over translation, namely:
- UN style translation- This technique is most incorporated in interviews, documentaries, speeches etc. The original voice is played in a feeble volume in the background and the translated version is played over that.
- Dubbing- Dubbing involves directly replacing the original audio while maintaining its tone. It also includes lip syncing and enactment of every action that is happening in the video.
- Instructional style: In this approach, a voice actor interprets the video in the desired language. It provides more freedom to the performer as no script is required for this type of translation.
- Dialogue replacement- This involves completely changing all the original speakers’ dialogues by replacing them with different actors for each role.
Certain challenges that might come up during this translation:
- Understanding the cultural nuances of the targeted audience and being able to portray them
- Not losing the original tone and message of the video. The tone is as crucial as the words of the speaker
- Having a properly localized translation of the script that takes into account the interests and likes of the multilingual audience
The main aim of voice over translation is to make sure that message from the translated version aligns with the intent of the original video. This will help you gain more viewers, attract potential buyers and generate more revenue by better connecting with the users.
Experienced professionals can also help you with other services like video subtitling that can further enhance the quality and clarity of your video content.